Kittie Howard


Tuesday, January 31, 2012

A Grandmother's Wisdom (LA Memory)

My grandmother ruled as the family's matriarch with a power that came from experience put to good use.  Of course, as a child, I didn't realize that. I just knew that my grandmother was old, very old, and what she said was the law of the farm.

In my early teens, I realized my grandmother wasn't as old as I thought and began to understand the reasoning behind some of her edicts.  When I married, in my late twenties, and soon had to deal with problems and situations women had always dealt with, I learned to anchor the moment with something she had said - or would say, as Ma was older, but still not old.  I thought I'd share a bit of her wisdom with you:

If you tell others your problems, they'll tell you theirs, and you'll be worse off.

There are some people, if they know you're afraid, they'll come after you.

You made yourself afraid. (About stuff that happens in life one doesn't remember later.)

Smile when you're afraid.  (Ditto.)

Always make your bed in the morning.

Always say Thank You.

Appreciate a gift, even if you don't like it.

Hold your head high when you walk out the door.

You can't get any work done if you're worrying about what other people think.

Don't worry so much; you'll get wrinkles.

Let the situation pass; another will come along.

Don't try to solve other people's problems; they'll get mad at you.

Stay away from extremes.

If you think you're pretty, you're pretty.

If you'd stop jabbering, you'd hear the swing creak.


* * * * *

If you've got books on Goodreads, let me know, and we'll connect.  I'm like a turtle going up a technological hill, but we're getting there - hmmm - sorta.











1 comment:

Jinky said...

Thank you for following up on Amazon re: Remy. I'm just scared to lose it cuz it said to remove the book and redownload ..making me think I'd have to buy the book again to redownload. But I'll play with it tonight and hopefully Amazon is 24hr service and they can walk me through it. --I'm getting all excited now about reading your book! :)