Kittie Howard


Saturday, July 20, 2013

Welcome to Lido di Jesolo, Italy


Time stopped in Lido de Jesolo! Our clock became the moon over the Adriatic Sea. Three evenings ago, my husband said, "The moon's a little bigger tonight." We both knew a day had passed, but neither asked the other which day. Now we're both aware we're leaving a week from Sunday. Now, when we say good-bye to other tourists after breakfast, we know our day grows closer. Even though we're going on to France from here, we're going to be sad about leaving Jesolo. We always are. We haven't found another holiday spot situated between the beach/pool and a tree-lined town that's completely pedestrian in the evening. Shaded sun for hub and walks in the shade during the day for me. I'd like to share some photos from my morning's walk.

The Ambasciatori Palace hotel provides free bikes, for the whole day if one desires, a good thing. The bikes are retro, just brakes, no gears. Since the land is flat, everyone just peddles along. It's nice, very nice. In the evening, the main street above will be pedestrian only. People will fill the street, just walking and talking and eating ice cream . . . or stopping for a coffee or glass of wine or bottle of cold water at one of the many coffee bars or eateries.

One of the menus. The price is in euros. One euro is about $1.30. The price you see includes tax and tip.
Something for everyone - water, Prosecco, wine

Display in one of the clothing shops. Marilyn Monroe remains eternal.

One of the many pizzerias/restaurants. The crust is very thin, with just enough sauce to cover, fresh toppings you order, and a little cheese. Unlike Pizza Hut, which uses melted lard to first coat the crust, they only use extra virgin olive oil here. Apartments are above the restaurant.

The United States is a Fair Trade Partner . . .



. . . so our products are popularly sold here . . .

. . . but like everywhere else, cheap Chinese goods are a problem. These are 2 euro copies of  hand-blown Murano glass pendants that would sell for between 10 and 20 euros. Collected together, these don't look half-bad. But they don't catch the light and look really cheap when worn. On Murano, the island near Venice famous for its glass factories, the pendants are displayed hanging in windows so one can see how the light infuses the pendant. They're absolutely gorgeous. So that's why the copies are in boxes . . . and clipped to the box at the back so it's too complicated for the tourist to hold up.

Like for authentic Murano glass, there are Made in Italy signs for leather goods.



Hub loves this 'salad of the sea' -- but see those black balls that look like olives? Umm, they're not olives; they're snails, a special type of snail. And they're alive. And they crawl around in the bowl. So, okay, one can't like everything everywhere, so, umm, I'm taking my usual pass here.

An Italian take on the British saying, "Keep Calm and Carry on." This is my favorite photo from our morning's walk. Thanks for coming with me. It was lots of fun. Until later, lots of hugs, K.

15 comments:

turquoisemoon said...

huh??? snails???in the salad...

mshatch said...

I think I'd pass on the snails, too, thanks! But what a lovely place you've discovered - and I love the idea of biking. Sanibel Island is like that, flat, with lots of places to rent a bike. And they have baskets to you can ride and shop :)

Enjoy the rest of your time there and I hope you'll share more pics soon!

Suze said...

Oh, Kittie! I am so filled with yearning over your experiences of moonlight over the water.

I like that last t-shirt. Easier put on a t-shirt than done, eh?

Thank you for popping in to give us an update and all of these photos. Kiss France for me ...

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

A little slice if Italy! Glad you've had a good time. And $2.60 for a bottle of wine? Now that's a bargain!

William Kendall said...

Looks like a lovely place to be in, Kittie!

Norma said...

Meraviglioso, Kittie!

My Italian's a little rusty, but I managed to read most of the signs.

Marguerite said...

Looks like a lovely town and I'm so glad that you're enjoying yourselves. Looking forward to hearing about your adventures in France! Enjoy!

Michelle said...

What a glorious trip!!! Thank you for sharing your adventures with those of us who are stuck at home!!!

Mary Aalgaard said...

Lovely photos. Hope you're having a great time!

Ms Sparrow said...

I like the T-shirt that says "Be Yourself". There must be hundreds of variations of "Carry on"!

Rebecca said...

Kitty, I have so enjoyed your "travelogue" of Italy. Italy is a dream trip I hope to make one day. Thanks for sharing your lovely photos.

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

Kittie, I'm so happy you had this lovely experience. My BF and her husband visited Verona last March. She's not a writer, but I had her stop periodically to allow her senses to capture everything. Now I get to see your wonderful photos. Thanks for letting me come along.

Deanie Humphrys-Dunne said...

Kittie, the pictures are beautiful! Sounds like you're having lots of fun. Members of my family have traveled quite a bit in Europe and they enjoyed it.

Anonymous said...

haha. I would pass on the snails and salad, too. Loved this commentary and photos!

Susan Oloier said...

I love your description of the pedestrian evening there. It really sounds divine. Love these updates.