Kittie Howard


Thursday, June 27, 2013

Off to Italy; Blog on Mini Hiatus



Italy beckons -- the day that seemed a million years away is tomorrow -- wheee!

We'll fly to Vienna, Austria, spend the night at the NH Hotel (exit airport, cross street, go to room, crash), then catch an early a.m. flight to Venice (taxi to the Ambasciatori Palace hotel in Lido de Jesolo, go to room, change clothes, go to pool, start reading under shade tree, and zzzzzz and read and . . .).

Along the way, I hope to get caught up in Blogville and with my WIP as I've fallen woefully behind in this crazy month June's been.


Venice -- I liked how the bird perched on the post and enjoyed the breezes.

The nearby island of Burano and my favorite ferry stop. We go early, get a coffee at an outdoor place by one of the canals and watch the island come alive.

I walked around after our coffee to take some pics. A bicycle always pulls me closer. Burano is laid-back, not as commercialized as Venice. 
I can't resist these caloric bombs! Ohhhhh, pure bliss! Not too sweet with a hint of almond. *sighs*


The chocolate-creme torte hub surprised me with on my birthday last year! Very light, not too sweet *sighs again*


The beach/Adriatic Sea view from our room. We've had the same room the past six years. The shadows in the foreground are the trees by the pool. The heart shape in the sky is from an air show by Italy's air force. The horizon's grey cross the sea is Croatia. A few years ago we drove around the land hook and explored Croatia. Gorgeous scenery but few hotels and absolutely brutal prices for everything as their tourist market caters more to the enormous yachts that drop anchor.

Hub's favorite . . . no canned mushrooms and fake cheese . . .
. . . right around the corner . . .  on Sunday morning this area's more like Hangover Corner. Every Saturday night there's a huge beach party that draws kids from as far away as Milan -- very rich kids with incredibly expensive cars, parked wherever they can find a spot, convertible tops down (people admire but don't touch cars that are more like works of art) -- anyway, the party's loud (we bring ear plugs) and goes into the wee hours. Italians harness rather than fight rites of passage. When these kids learn to control their wild horses, they'll tolerate the same parties they're recovering from. And, counter image, Italy's got some really tough laws, as does all of the European Union, actually. No one even thinks of taking a sip of wine and driving, nononono!


Tiles by the pool . . . this is more our speed.
Happy Summer, Everyone!




20 comments:

Anonymous said...

The photos look great! Have fun! I visited Venice in December 1969. Guess it's time for another visit. Lol.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Wow, you're about to go off on an adventure! Have a grand time and stay safe.

mshatch said...

Oh you lucky kitty! I am extremely envious! I hope you take lots of pics to share and have a fabulous time :)

Ms Sparrow said...

You have made me very hungry with your food photos! It sounds like you're having fun.

Crystal Collier said...

*jealous* You should see me--I'm green! (Or at least wearing green.) One day I'm going to get there too--one sweet day. Have a blast!

Inger said...

Have a wonderful trip!

Anonymous said...

Have a wonderful time.

Marguerite said...

Beautiful place! Enjoy every minute of your vacation, cher. You truly deserve it! Cheers!

Thyra said...

It looks so wonderful Kittie, you can surely see that this is sunny Italy in all the photos. What a beautiful view from your window and the heart shape in the sky. Have a nice tour to lovely Vienna.
Best wishes
Grethe `)

Denise Covey said...

Kittie, may you and hubs have the greatest time. Adore Italy, (who doesn't?) and nearly got to Croatia once, must try again soon.

Happy lazing by the pool reading. Chill...

Unknown said...

Oh gosh!! I just got back from Italy in May, so gorgeous! Venice was such a huge source of inspiration for me! Have fun, Kittie!

☆sapphire said...

Oh you are lucky!! Have a wonderful time in Venice!!
"I dream of the summertime,
Of Venice and the summertime.
I see the cafes, the sunlit days with you, my love...♪♪♪”
from "Summertime in Venice"

Julie Flanders said...

What an adventure! Have an amazing time and I look forward to reading about your trip when you return. :)

Michelle said...

I hope you have a marvelous time!!! Enjoy!!!

Rebecca said...

Oh Italy! I'm so jealous. I hope you have a wonderful adventure!

Kathy G said...

Thanks for sharing such nice information and pictures about travel in Austria. thanks for sharing nce post.

William Kendall said...

I hope you're enjoying the trip!

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

I can't wait to hear all about your trip! Have a super time, Kittie!

Susan Oloier said...

Oh, your post and pics make me long to go there. I've always wanted to. Hope your trip is wonderful!

Deanie Humphrys-Dunne said...

The pictures are beautiful. Hope you have a lovely time. Looking forward to hearing about your trip.