Kittie Howard


Thursday, February 14, 2013

Heart to Heart

Hub and I have been walking around with little smiles on our faces. Our trip to Pinehurst, North Carolina, was as perfect as it gets on this earth. The sun brushed away that wintery cold and grey and stood tall in a gorgeous Carolina blue sky. Family members from Charlotte and Duke University brought  their special sunshine.

Pinehurst did the rest--oh, what a beautiful, historic place with a lineage going back to 1895. Even a non-golfer like me recognized the national and international golfing greats whose autographed photos lined corridors. And, as it turned out, Course Number 2 was the PGA (Professional Golfers Association) course the pros played in tournaments. In 2014, the Men's U. S. Open and the Women's U. S. Open will be at Pinehurst. Yep, Course Number 2 will be at center stage. This is the first time both tournaments will be at the same location.

(I drove the cart on Course Number 3, the one the pros warm up on prior to tournaments. But carts aren't permitted on Course Number 2, so hub and his nephew had a choice: carry their clubs and ponder over which one to use or enjoy the services of a caddy. They chose the latter and off they went, happy as could be.)

While others golfed, I found a comfy chair in a seating area near the verandah and opened my laptop, once again focused on un-doing the mess I'd made with my header. As it turned out, a personal assistant to a Baptist minister at Pinehurst for a golfing weekend took pity on me. Forty-five minutes later, he'd discovered the problem (I'd clicked something I shouldn't have) and, wheeee, my header returned. The photo above is one I took at Audubon House in St. Francisville, Louisiana. If you've ever stopped to listen to a bird chirp, you have a link to James Audubon. When spring gets a bit nearer, I'll post about him.

Then, more good news: Rachel Morgan (Morgan Media) made the candle flicker on the cover (which she'd also designed last year) for Remy Broussard's Christmas, on my sidebar. Wow! Isn't it great? I'm in total awe as to how Rachel does this stuff. But she makes the computer sing! She truly does. Thank you, Rachel, for hearting Remy!

So, on this Valentine's Day, there are so many hearts, but not because they beat only today, but because there are so many hearts that are good every day. Yes, there are problems in the world--always have been, always will be--but, in reality, there is more goodness in the world. We just need to pause now and then to hear the heartbeat.


(Photo source: Wikipedia)







19 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Glad you had a good time in Pinehurst and got your header fixed. Saw some of the other covers on Rachel's site - really cool! Nice touch with the flickering candlelight on yours.

Bossy Betty said...

Awwwww LOVE that last paragraph and so true too! Happy Valentine's Day to you!

Ms Sparrow said...

The flickering candle adds a lot to your page. I always wonder how that works! Have a nice Valentine's Day.

Out on the prairie said...

Technology is so good. Hope you have a special day.

Unknown said...

You are welcome! Sounds like you had an amazing time at Pinehurst! Happy Valentine's Day :-)

Liza said...

Love that final line!

mshatch said...

Love the new header pic and so glad you had fun with the hubs :)

Denise Covey said...

Great to see the header pic! At last! Well done. Rachel is so clever to add animation to your candle.

Glad Pinehurst was such a great break. Sounds heavenly.

Norma said...

I love that flickering candle, Kittie!

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

Header is outstanding, Kittie. Such a spectacular tree. Glad you had a nice time. Don't suppose you saw Woods or Mickelson? They're both on my bucket list. Would love to see a live tour.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a trip that illuminated the heart. A bit of a love song. Yes, there are many wonderful things in the world, but I must admit that I sometimes lean toward the backstory that lurks behind the cheerful veneer(& yes, I realize it isn't always a veneer).~Mary

David Macaulay said...

yay for the flickering candle Kittie - I have a relative in Pinehurst, was there for Thanksgiving - a quaint sort of place.

Thyra said...

Hej Kittie, good to see you back and I'm glad to hear that you've had a lovely time. congratulations with your husband's birthday.

I like that candle - the photo of the tree is very beautiful.

Grethe `)

Carol Kilgore said...

I think if more people took time to appreciate the good, it would go a long way toward improving things. For starters, we would become less tolerant of the not-so-good. Great post.

Cherie Reich said...

It sounds like you had a great time!

And I love the flickering candle for your ebook. Rachel is awesome!

Mark said...

Sounds like a neat trip. Cool post, neat blog:)

Unknown said...

Pinehurst sounds lovely. I went to North Carolina late last year and loved it. I wish to go again.

Beth said...

A lovely post, and an adorable photo! It sounds like you had a wonderful holiday.

William Kendall said...

It's great that you enjoyed the time away!